The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) assures that all fire stations under the Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) are on heightened alert status starting October 27 until November 2 to ensure a fire-free observance of this year’s All Saints' Day and All Souls' Day.
DILG Officer-in-Charge Catalino S. Cuy says that he has also directed the BFP to conduct fire safety inspections on places where high volume of people are expected to converge during the period such as transport stations and terminals (land and air), marine public transportation facilities and piers, mortuary chapels, columbaria, and public and private cemeteries.
“Remembering our departed loved ones has been deeply ingrained in our Filipino culture. I am confident that our BFP personnel will be able to carry out the task of ensuring that this year’s commemoration of Undas will be solemn, safe, and fire-free,” Cuy says.
He says ambulances and emergency medical teams from the BFP will also be deployed in public places and other strategic locations for faster response time in case of fire and other related emergencies.
According to Cuy, BFP personnel will also conduct community information drive in different areas, distribute flyers on fire safety tips, and announce fire safety precautions through a public address system in public and private cemeteries during the duration of Oplan Kaluluwa operation.
The BFP shares the following fire safety tips for zero fire incidence during Undas 2017:
1. Ensure that all light and electrical equipment are unplugged and switched off before leaving the house;
2. Clean and clear surroundings of any debris that might cause or attract smoke and fire;
3. Make sure that all garbage cans are covered from cigarettes;
4. Don’t put lighted candles on top of cartons, plastics, and wood or any material that easily burn;
5. Keep candles away from curtains, clothes, and paper;
6. Ensure that candles are away from kids;
7. Make sure that there are no lighted candles before going to sleep or before leaving the house. # Source – www.dilg.gov.ph